Last updated: September 1, 2021
- eduZone is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No member is responsible for eduZone's privacy practices.
- Each member is solely and independently responsible for their own privacy practices. No member is responsible for the privacy practices of any other member. In addition, eduZone is not responsible for the privacy practices of members.
- Information eduZone collects from you (including personal information)
- Cookies and tracking technologies on the eduZone website
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your personal information
- Storage and security
- Contact information
1. Information eduZone collects from you (including personal information)
eduZone collects information directly when you:
- Create an eduZone user account and create an eduZone user profile;
- Register and participate in online courses;
- Buy a product or service (e.g. online training);
- Send emails to eduZone (including messages to the support center);
- Participate in user surveys; and
- Participate in public forums, webinars and other interactive experiences on the eduZone site.
eduZone also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the eduZone site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
eduZone itself does not collect or store financial account numbers or identifiers issued by any government entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the eduZone site, for example an online document or training, you will be directed to a "third party payment processor" and to a "third party verification service provider identity”. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, you will not be able to access the material online through the eduZone site.
eduZone needs your personal information in limited circumstances when you:
- Register for an eduZone user account (name, username, address, email, and other optional information requested by the eduZone members);
- Buy access to online documentation or training (so that the third supplier of eduZone can authenticate your identity) or another product downloadable or not, or a service (so that the third supplier of eduZone can treat payment).
To the extent that eduZone associates the information that eduZone collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on the personal information in your account profile.
You can voluntarily choose to share additional personal information on the eduZone site, for example:
- In your eduZone account profile (and you can display a limited or complete profile to other users of the eduZone site); or
- When participating in a course, forum, webinar or other interactive experience on the eduZone site (note that in some cases this information is shared with a third party who provides tools or other support for the eduZone site or a class).
eduZone encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional personal information on the eduZone site. (If you subsequently choose to delete your eduZone account, the deletion of your personal information will be subject to the process and limitations described below.)
Members do not receive your personal information until you register for one of their courses or training. If you register for a course, the member offering the course will receive personal information from your eduZone account profile as well as the information that eduZone collects about your activity and performance in the course for which you have registered.
2. Cookies and tracking technologies on the eduZone website
- As a function of your cookie settings, eduZone follows the information indicating, among other things, which pages of the site eduZone were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other controls of user interface were used;
- eduZone may record the IP address, operating system and browser software (including mobile usage and device type when using eduZone native mobile apps) that you used when accessing the eduZone site, and eduZone may be able to determine your Internet service from an IP address, your provider and geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- eduZone may track and collect information from emails eduZone sends to you, for example if you have opened the email or clicked on links in the email.
eduZone also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the eduZone site, how you interact with eduZone social media, and how you find or may be referred to the eduZone site. Individual Members may separately use tracking technologies in their courses and in their email communications to understand your activity in a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the eduZone site.
- When necessary for administration, security, and system integrity to ensure that the eduZone site functions properly for you. Without these technologies, the eduZone site may not function properly;
- To enable analysis, performance and functionality, to help eduZone and members collect information about how visitors use the eduZone site and monitor the performance of the eduZone site, and to improve your experience by recognizing you and reminding you if you have already visited the eduZone site and if you have any preferences; and
- To support marketing by enabling eduZone and members to provide content that matches your interests on the eduZone site and third-party sites based on how you interact with eduZone or advertisements or member content. eduZone and the members use "first-party" cookies, i.e. cookies served by eduZone or an individual member, as well as "third-party" cookies, i.e. cookies served by third parties that help eduZone and members track this information.
You have certain options for managing cookies and other tracking technologies. These include:
- Changing Your Browser Settings: You should be able to control how and if your web browser accepts cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” function in the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies and how to deactivate existing cookies. If you reject eduZone cookies, many functions and amenities of the eduZone site may not work properly.
- Opting Out of Certain Third-Party Tracking and Ads: Some of the third parties used by eduZone or a member provide the ability to opt out of their tracking by following the processes described on their websites. Neither eduZone nor any member is responsible for the effectiveness of third party opt-out options.
3. How your information is used
eduZone and its Members use information, including personal information, to achieve the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the eduZone site - This includes creating and improving features that support the eduZone community and enable the use of the eduZone site on a large scale. This also includes customizing the eduZone site, so that your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, deliver, and teach online courses and training - This includes creating and improving the delivery of online courses and training on eduZone. It also includes the customization of courses, so that your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, as well as the evaluation of your performance and the award of certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services - This includes allowing you to browse the eduZone site, register, and participate in courses on the eduZone site, effectively learn in these courses and programs, and purchase or obtain products and services on the eduZone site.
- Communicating with you - This includes answering your questions about the courses and the platform, keeping you informed of the maintenance and updates of the eduZone site, informing you about course offerings, programs, news and related products and services from eduZone or eduZone affiliates, and as permitted by applicable law, sending you communications about the products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research, including, for example, in cognitive science and education - This includes collaboration to enable and conduct research on how learners access and master online course materials, in the aim of improving the results of the courses.
- Track eduZone site usage against goals and mission - This includes performing analytics to assess access and performance of courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not personal information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce and respect legal rights and obligations - This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders or other legal process; and investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property or safety of eduZone, members or others, and such as required by applicable law.
eduZone or a member may also request your consent for additional uses of information, including personal information, and will only use them for the purposes described to you. Any use of personal information is subject to applicable law.
4. How your information is shared
eduZone and members share information, including personal information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners of the courses you are taking and with other visitors to the eduZone site, to create an interactive learning environment, support classroom participation and share information about the course - This includes sharing feedback, courses or other information or content you submit in one part of the website eduZone designed to be accessed by other participants of the class or for public communication. It also includes the ability for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for example, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential students and mentors. In such cases, eduZone and each member who offers a course for which you have registered may use any information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others with your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your name or email address ).
- With employers, government programs, teachers and universities, institutions or other businesses that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes - If an entity pays for or sponsors, or supervises your course attendance, eduZone will share information with the entity as necessary to confirm your enrollment, attendance, progress, and completion status of that course.
5. How to manage your personal information
You can manage your personal information through the learner features on the eduZone site and through requests to the eduZone learner support team. If your request is for information controlled by a member, eduZone Learner Support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate member to respond to your request. eduZone will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (e.g. learners in the European Union) and more broadly where possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. eduZone will notify you if eduZone is unable to respond to a request that is not legally required. Likewise, members will only be required to comply with requests to the extent required by law, but may choose to comply with other requests in their sole discretion.
Access and correct your personal information
Much of your personal information is available in your eduZone account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information can be changed through your eduZone account profile settings, unless otherwise specified below. Your account dashboard lists all the current and archived courses you have enrolled, links to any attestations you may have earned and downloadable products that you have purchased. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other course attendance and performance. Please contact eduZone Learner Support to access and update this and other information. If your request relates to information controlled by a Member, eduZone Learner Support will notify the Member concerned of your request.
- Usernames can never be changed. This is a restriction of the eduZone system. Because usernames identify you in the courses and elsewhere on the eduZone site, eduZone encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name that identifies you as a username.
- eduZone does not track or index anytime or anywhere on the eduZone site when and where a learner may provide personal information, so neither eduZone nor the members will be able to help you locate or manage all of these instances. eduZone encourages you to use discretion before providing any personal information on the eduZone site.
Restrict or oppose the processing of personal information
If you would like to manage emails and other communications with you, you can update your preferences in your eduZone account dashboard, follow the steps in the links at the bottom of emails, or contact eduZone Learner Support. You can object or ask eduZone or a member to stop using your personal information for other purposes by contacting the eduZone Learner Support team. If your request concerns information controlled by a Member, the assistance team to learners eduZone will inform the Member concerned by your application. Please note that if you choose to restrict eduZone or a member's ability to process personal information, and the processing is otherwise necessary to provide you with various services and products offered on the eduZone site, you may not be able to create an eduZone user account or register for a course, and eduZone or a member may not be able to provide these services or products.
Delete account and personal information
To request the deletion of your eduZone account and your personal information, you must click on the "Delete my account" button in your eduZone account settings. Because deletion on the eduZone system is a permanent action and cannot be undone, eduZone may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the eduZone account affected by your request.
Regarding your account eduZone, eduZone will permanently:
- Deactivate your eduZone account,
- Delete the active profile,
- Remove your username, and
- Remove yourself from eduZone mailing lists.
Regarding your personal information, eduZone will permanently delete your eduZone Personal Information account profile from the eduZone site.
As mentioned above, since eduZone associates information that eduZone collects directly or indirectly to an individual (e.g., you), the association is based on the personal information in your account profile eduZone. By deleting personal information from your eduZone account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the eduZone site will no longer be associated with you, except as indicated below.
These changes will be applied to the data stores that are used for the operation of the eduZone site, including the administration of courses by members. If you have registered for courses on the eduZone site, the eduZone Learner Support Team will share your request with members who have offered those courses.
- The deletion will not apply to activity logs or historical archives unless and until such logs and data naturally “age” within the eduZone system.
- eduZone does not track or index anytime or anywhere on the eduZone site when and where a learner may provide personal information, so neither eduZone nor the members will be able to help you locate or manage all of these instances. eduZone encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your personal information on the eduZone site.
- eduZone will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted by applicable law) to fulfill its mission of enabling scientific research in cognitive science and education. These archives are used to produce encrypted research data sets for members, and personal information cannot be removed from research data sets maintained by members.
- eduZone and each affected member cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the eduZone site should be kept for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- eduZone and each member will retain and use personal information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as permitted by applicable law.
eduZone will keep your personal information for as long as your account is active or as necessary to provide you with services; to keep a record of your transactions for financial reporting, auditing and compliance purposes; and to comply with eduZone's legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as permitted by applicable law. If you register for a member's course, that member will also retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with services; to keep a record of your transactions for financial reporting, auditing and compliance purposes; and to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as permitted by applicable law. Upon your request to eduZone to deactivate your account and delete your information, eduZone will follow the process described above, including, without limitation, archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted by applicable law) to fulfill its mission of enabling scientific research in cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research datasets for members, and each of those members may also hold and use course data for scientific research purposes.
6. Storage and security
eduZone stores information, including personal information, on its own servers as well as on corporate servers that eduZone hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on the servers of companies that the Member engages to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in Canada, the United States and other countries where eduZone or a member operates, and in the countries where eduZone and each member's respective service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland or other regions with laws governing the collection and use of data, you acknowledge that eduZone and each member may transfer, process and store your personal information in Canada, in the United States, and other countries, whose privacy laws may be considered less stringent than those in your region.
eduZone controls its own copy of information collected through the eduZone site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or under its control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. eduZone uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure; and therefore, eduZone cannot guarantee its absolute security. Although eduZone works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, eduZone cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent "hackers" or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information. information.
If eduZone learns of a security breach involving its copy of your personal information, eduZone may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective measures. By using the eduZone site or providing personal information to eduZone, you agree that eduZone may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of the eduZone site. In the event of a breach of security systems, eduZone may post a notice on the eduZone home page (ww.eduzone.ca) or elsewhere on the eduZone website and may email you at the email address associated with your eduZone account. Depending on where you are, you may have the legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your personal information, in writing.
If a member learns of a security breach involving that member's copy of your personal information, the member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective measures. By registering for a member's course on the eduZone site or providing personal information to the member, you agree that the member may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative matters related to your registration and your participation in the courses. In the event of a breach of security systems, the Member concerned may post a notice on the eduZone site and / or send you an email to the email address associated with your registration for the Member's course on the eduZone site. Depending on where you are, you may have the legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your personal information, in writing.
8. Contact information
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data that you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the personal information eduZone keeps about you, please contact us at eduZone: 3000, chemin de la Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montreal, Quebec , H3T 2A7 Canada , Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If your request concerns a Member, eduZone will inform the Member concerned of your request.
Cookies are unique identifiers generally in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the eduZone site or in an email communication to eduZone or to the authorized third party that served the cookie. eduZone or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
The eduZone site includes all content and pages located in the eduZone.ca web domain and all eduZone mobile applications.
The member is each educational institution or other academic research institution that offers online courses and training or electronic documents through the eduZone site.
Personal information is information that specifically identifies you or which, when combined with other information, can be used to identify you.
Tracking technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers that are used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.